[Zope-dev] zope.testing feature creep in release (WAS: zope.testing.doctestunit and BBB)

Benji York benji at zope.com
Wed Dec 23 10:12:32 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:
> Nevertheless, I think the (agile, many, flexible, easy) releases and not
> branching the trunk at all start hurting us here as we're getting lost
> in our own policy. Any ideas for limiting feature creep?

Two comments:

Whenever I wish I had created a major release branch (like
/branches/1.5) at that point I go back and create one by copying the
1.5.0 tag.  That way you have the best of both worlds, you don't have to
remember to create major release branches (that you may never use) and
you can have them if you end up doing significant maintenance on that
version.

As for having a broken trunk: I believe that every project needs a head
maintainer that feels personally responsible for the state of a
particular project.  They would be in charge of reviewing and approving
branches before they are merged to the project trunk.

We've inherited a communal process from the pre-explosion days that
worked well there, but there are just too many projects for the
community to keep track of and to care for.
--
Benji York