[Zope-dev] moving the zope.app.* packages out of the ZTK: towards a plan

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Dec 29 16:19:38 EST 2009

Hi there,

Let me sketch out some ideas for a plan:

* we create a new project, zopeapp, with the same structure as the
zopetoolkit (sans documentation)

* we pull the zope.app.* packages from the ZTK and move them into zopeapp.

* we make sure we have a way to regularly run the zopeapp tests in
conjunction with the ZTK.

* we then move towards a release of ZTK 1.0 (see Hanno's mail for lots
of things we need to work out)

* we also release zopeapp 1.0 in conjunction with it. This is just a
backwards compatibility KGSish thing. We explicitly don't strive to
document it, etc.

* we announce that we strive to deprecate what's in zopeapp 1.0 and that
we expect users to shift to use ZTK packages as much as possible and
report back any difficulties they have with this.

* this will help us determine whether there is still useful code left in
zopeapp that we wish to salvage into the ZTK or otherwise maintain.

* this will also help us determine which packages in zopeapp are more
generally useful, and strive to isolate them from the rest of zopeapp.
zope.formlib is an example of this.

* depending on our experiences in Zope 2, Zope 3 and Grok apps we can
decide whether we can put zopeapp in the deep freeze: not maintain it
anymore.

* we then also look into shunting away the zope.app.* packages from the
top-level SVN into an "this is old stuff area" by that time.

Note that we also have a long-standing idea of a "wider KGS" which
contains the ZTK plus perhaps zopeapp plus more, such as z3c.form. This
is a related exercise.

Once we have some discussion we can hopefully flesh out this plan, put
in some dates and such, and put the plan in the Zope Toolkit documentatino.

Regards,

Martijn