[Zope-dev] removing zope.app from the ZTK

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Dec 29 18:55:34 EST 2009

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Martijn Faassen
> <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>> I think a zopeapp KGS that will help them transition existing code from
>> Zope 2.12 to Zope 2.13 in working condition would be helpful to Zope 2
>> users.
>
> Not really. Zope 2.12 is exactly that transitionary release defining a
> KGS for everything that was included in Zope 2.11 (~3.4.1).

Ah, I didn't realize Zope 2.12 was already based on an earlier version
of the ZTK. Then I guess I mean zopeapp might help people transitioning
from 2.11 to Zope 2.13. I don't know how many people are making that
transition.

 > We already
 > have our version of the "zopeapp" KGS with that.
> Everyone else is free
> to reuse this KGS, but so far nobody was interested in it.

I missed where you offered this list for more general reuse. If I'd
known about it might have been useful for us working for Grok, and as a
basis of zopeapp.

I'm interested the current zopeapp to support the Grok transition and to
help people transition Zope 3 apps. I didn't realize Zope 2 was already
that far along having released earlier ZTK versions.

> It reflects
> the status of zope.*/zope.app.* a couple months back. With Plone 4
> based on this KGS, we are going to maintain it for the next couple of
> years. It's not completely zope.app-free but close enough to make the
> jump to 2.13 trivial for Zope2 projects.
>
>> Why not maintain such a list together instead of letting everybody
>> figure this out themselves? It's not always easy to make sure you have
>> the right packages. We were maintaining this list together, until very
>> recently.
>
> The list we were maintaining together, was what I thought to be the
> KGS *after* the transition period.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Anyway, there are now two lists in my mind: the ZTK list (yours), and
the zopeapp list. Both are useful to share, though the ZTK is obviously
the main goal. I was proposing zopeapp is useful for Zope 2 developers,
but apparently not much as the use of the ZTK is out of sync.

Regards,

Martijn