[Zope-dev] ZCML implementations: where should they go

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Feb 10 14:01:42 EST 2009

On Feb 10, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote at 2009-2-8 13:00 -0500:
>> IMO, introducing an extra is like introducing a new package and in a
>> rather complicated way.
>
> I agree with the first part of your sentence -- but cannot follow you
> with the second part:
>
>  How can "'extra' : <sequence of required distributions>"
>  be more complicated than creating, maintaining and
>  distributing a complete package?

Because you have to remember to test each valid permutation of the
package.  I bet no one does.  Also, users have to be aware of the
extras. PyPI doesn't advertise extras nor are there standard ways to
document them. In general, it makes an already complicated packaging
system more complicated.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton