[Zope-dev] [dev] five.localsitemanager: dependencies

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Sun Feb 15 18:37:07 EST 2009

[...] five.localsitemanger [...]

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Given that package's job in life, I strongly doubt that we need to worry
> about anybody using it outside of a Zope2 app.  In fact, I think it
> might be a good idea just to fold the package back into Zope2 (I don't
> recall why it ever shipped separately).

IIRC someone (probably Rocky) needed local site managers in a project
and started the code. We maintained and expanded it over time.

Looking at the actual dependencies of the package today and the way it
needs to override some of the things inside OFS, I think merging it into
Zope2 makes sense at this point.

So for this particular package I'm +1.

In general I'd like there to be less "Five code" to be part of Zope2
though. Moving formlib support into a five.formlib package might be
worthwhile for example. Right now Zope2 pulls in quite a bit of packages
through zope.formlib and zope.app.form which next to nobody is working
on anymore. I'd like to avoid Zope2 getting maintenance cost for
packages just because we offer a Five-layer for them inside Zope2.

Since five.localsitemanager is really just depending on the hardcore
component architecture itself, I'm fine with including this one, though.

Hanno