[Zope-dev] Overhauling the Zope 2 presentation on zope.org

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Feb 20 09:23:50 EST 2009

Hey Andreas,

Andreas Jung wrote:

> There are basically two options: create a dedicated microsite (similar
> to grok.zope.org) or follow the Zope 3 approach on wiki.zope.org. Unless
> someone provides enough resources in helping, I would like to go with
> the wiki approach since it is much easier to handle. Volunteers that
> have the same interest in Zope 2 and getting this thing done are invited
> to join the effort.

I'm really happy about this initiative.

I really hope someone provides the resources to create a microsite
instead of "the Zope 3 approach on wiki.zope.org". Grok is doing two
things: a Plone-based site where people can contribute documentation,
and a Sphinx-based website for official documentation maintained in SVN.

The Zope 3 approach on wiki.zope.org is hardly a shining example of web
presence for a web framework that's attractive to users. I'd say overall
it's an anti-example (though it's has much improved compared to what it
was before - as of quite recently it chased users away saying it was
really a site for the developers of Zope 3). Hearing of plans to
replicate its approach therefore worry me a little. :)

Anyway, overall I'm a big supporter of the "microsite" approach. It's
the only approach that actually got us to new web sites over the last years.

Regards,

Martijn