[Zope-dev] Overhauling the Zope 2 presentation on zope.org

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Feb 21 02:33:40 EST 2009

On 21.02.2009 8:16 Uhr, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> About wiki/vs microsite, I also would hope for a microsite. Wikis are
> good for community generated docs/howtos and stuff, which we already
> have for Zope2. And a pretty good one at that:
> http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/Zope2Wiki

After Martin's posting I will re-check if we can re-use something
from the new.zope.org.

> Also, there is alos now the Zope2Book and Zope Developers guide on
> docs.zope.org, looking good there.

Jup, and Hanno and I  reST-ified the Z2 docs folder yesterday so we
can use Sphinx for generating HTML/PDF.

> But we do need a Zope2 overview site, that explains what it is and how
> to get started, and has links to all of the above places. I assume
> that's what you intend to create?

The first goal is bringing a site up in order to get people
away from the old zope.org site and providing basic technical
documentation etc. Since I am only an average
technical write and definitely not a story-teller, I will focus on the
technical stuff (in the hope people contributing pieces for the Zope
'evangelism' part of the site).

> A similar site should be created for Zope 3, and then we should trash
> the current Zope org for a new frontpage that basically only points to
> the different microsites.

Basically yes. I don't think it is a good idea to recommend any particular
Zope framework on the front-page. Instead each individual project should
make clear its own focus and strength. Perhaps it is not the best
approach for giving n00bs an answer to "wtf is Zope? What shall I use".
So I agree that the front-page should be in some way neutral, not
selling a particular Zope project but leading you directly to the
different projects. This approach does not require much discussion and
fighting between the individual projects and each project can represent
itself. It is hard getting all the people under one hood - so the
microsite approach looks reasonable for me. I think this worked out
pretty well for grok.zope.org (which is really a useful site).

Andreas

- --
Web: www.zopyx.com - Email: info at zopyx.com - Phone +49 - 7071 - 793376
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, Handelsregister A 381535
Geschäftsführer/Gesellschafter: ZOPYX Limited, Birmingham, UK