[Zope-dev] Overhauling the Zope 2 presentation on zope.org

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 06:05:50 EST 2009

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2009, at 08:55 , Andreas Jung wrote:
>
>> - - are there any legal issues with the design & layout in case we
>> want to
>> make modifications? I know that the designer of new.zope.org theme
>> made some trouble when it came to discussion about the briefs and
>> donouts on the new.zope.org frontpage.
>
> Yes there are. In essence, do not use the design, period.
>
> Here are the reasons I had for voting against continuing new.zope.org:
>
>   - the design is not free and re-usable
>
>   - the designer has stopped providing any support for the design, and
> the person who found and tasked the designer with the design work,
> Jodok, has given up on the whole issue because he is frustrated as well
>
>   - the website structure and presentation is too Zope 3-centric.
> Zope2 is basically hidden away. IMHO this may reflect the original
> creators' thinking, but doesn't reflect the world out there, which
> still uses mainly Zope2.
>
>   - no one has given any thought to migration issues (old URLs will
> fail, zope.org users with login will complain that there is no login
> anymore)
>
> The ZF board vote was to stop supporting the project on the current
> path. Everyone still wants to see a new zope.org site, but this
> particular project wasn't going anywhere anymore. Several project
> managers came, spent much effort trying to make it work, and left
> again. It's better to start with a clean slate, and maybe with a
> smaller set of goals.

I wasn't aware of this vote, but I'm happy to abide by it. I think they
are sensible decisions. I also think that the Zope world and the role of
Zope 3 and eggs and all that has changed in the last year to the point
where some of the original vision (and the role of Grok etc) is not
necessarily correct.

Martin