[Zope-dev] zope.publisher dependencies

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Feb 24 14:03:58 EST 2009

On Feb 24, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> The main problem I have with the zope publication machinery is that
>> after all these years of using it I *still* get lost in it regularly.
>> A more regular architecture that can be traced more easily would not
>> only allow better understanding on my part, but might also allow us
>> more easily selectively replace or remove bits of it.
>
> +1.  As I recall, we tried to build a regular architecture in
> zope.publisher using the IPublication interface, but the publisher
> machinery is still painfully difficult to understand without
> extensive study.

Maybe, but I find that people confuse the machinery in zope.publisher
with a bunch of additional and very confusing machinery in various
zope.app packages.  The publisher itself is pretty simple.  I think
this is illustrated by paste.txt in the zope.publisher package.  That
isn't to say there might not be better models.  Hopefully, I'll find
time to study your pipeline ideas. I wish there was a proposal I could
read rather than reading code.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton