[Zope-dev] zope.globalrequest?

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Sun Jan 18 07:04:49 EST 2009

Hi Dieter

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] zope.globalrequest?
>
> Christian Theune wrote at 2009-1-16 09:06 +0100:
> >I noticed 'zope.globalrequest' on the PyPI RSS feed today and wonder
> >about it. IMHO this implements an anti-pattern in an official way
> >without a warning that this needs to be handled with care.
>
> IMHO, it is not an anti-pattern:
>
>    We have a global "site" why should we not have a global request?
>
>    When Zope is used as a Web Application Server, it is quite
>    natural to expect a request.

I'm fine with the zope.globalrequest package. But it's very
important to understand that this is not a common way to do
things.

It also makes the request/interaction etc. a part of the
test setup for test components. Probably it simplifies the
implementation but brings in complexity in test testing
an application.

I don't say that this is bad in general. I just say that if
you build an application based on zope.globalrequest, this
is a totaly different base concept how you will develop
applications like we do now. And you have to pay the price
with a complex test setup.

Regards
Roger Ineichen