[Zope-dev] How to test changes to ZTK packages?

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 08:47:04 EDT 2009

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> On 6/30/09 7:03 PM, Stephan Richter wrote:
>> It is needed for the "latest-versions" script as this parses XML. I consider
>> lxml pretty much the standard tool to do XML in Python these days. Who is not
>> using lxml?
>
> I suspect the majority of people who use OSX as their main platform try
> to stay as far away from lxml as possible. Not because lxml is bad, but
> because unless you use special magic it will make your python randomly
> segfault. This is very sad, and it is not lxml's fault but I see no good
> solution at this moment.

There is a good solution: binary eggs. lxml already does this for
Windows, and we're about to get them for OS X. So I think lxml will
again become a reasonable thing to depend on. Which is important,
because it's a very good library.

> Using z3c.recipe.staticlxml recipe helps a bit for people using
> buildout, but that is not everyone and even then I have seen random
> segfaults.

I've never seen errors with a static build (although I've seen the
recipe fail to remove a non-static egg in a shared eggs cache). Maybe
I'm lucky. :)

Martin