[Zope-dev] How to test changes to ZTK packages?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Wed Jul 1 13:42:30 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 01 July 2009, Jim Fulton wrote:
> What is the difference between zope.release and zope.kgs? Is the
> latter a fossil? Does it need to go away?

zope.kgs is the software and zope.release is the management of the Zope 3 KGS.
So a Grok KGS would use zope.kgs but not zope.release.

> Why does zope.release have a 2-step build process?  Perhaps naively,
> it seems that one could define a simple project that defined a test
> script over a "known good set" of projects.  Is the 2-step process a
> consequence of maintaining the index or tar ball? (I'm not
> criticizing, I'm just trying to understand.)

I have been bothered by this before, but not enough to fix it. Basically, It
could easily be one step.

The two steps stem from the fact that you have a KGS file from which you
produce all sorts of interesting artifacts. The test setup is one such
artifact. you then use the artifact. Of course, for convenience one step would
be fine. Maybe it is even a PITA in zope.release.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Entrepreneur and Software Geek