[Zope-dev] A suggestion for changing exception handler when loading 'c' optimisations to make modules more friendly for GAE

Tobias Rodäbel tobias.rodaebel at mac.com
Fri Jul 3 08:08:23 EDT 2009

On 03.07.2009, at 12:33, Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2009, at 6:25 AM, Tim Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim
>>
>> That is what I am doing now, the problem I see though is when someone
>> upates (via buildout etc.... a)  module they need to remember to
>> remove the recreated file before redeploying the app,
>> unfortunately I
>> am not sure I see a way reliable way of specifying that these files
>> should be deleted in any automatic sense.  At least an ignore in the
>> app.yaml isn't feasible.
>

> I'm sure there's a way to do it.  It will just take some digging.
> Maybe there's a way to tell setuptools not to do it or maybe there's
> enough meta data laying around for buildout to undo it.  For example,
> the EGG-INFO/SOURCES.txt has a list of the original files in the
> distribution, so it should be easy enough to figure out where these
> extra bogus files are.

Great idea to examine EGG-INFO/SOURCES.txt, Jim! I just added this to
my recipe (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/rod.recipe.appengine) and got
rid of the horrible monkey patch for imp.load_dynamic. Now it does
exactly what Tim wants and excludes the optional c extension stuff
(plus .pyo, and .pyc files) in a gae buildout. I'm planning to add an
option for not deploying the additional packes as a zip archive if the
gae file limit will not be exceeded.

Cheers,
Tobias