[Zope-dev] List of packages in ZTK

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Mon Jul 6 02:58:24 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Sat, 2009-07-04 at 13:31 -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Christian Theune wrote:
>
> > I took the Zope 3.4 KGS, removed the obvious packages that do not belong
> > to the ZTK out of the list and created a home for the master list that
> > defines which packages belong to the ZTK.
> >
> > It's in the Zope toolkit documentation:
> > http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/about/packages.html
> >
> > So, if you see that a package is missing or is classified in the wrong
> > way, then please speak up.
>
> Thanks for putting the list together!  A couple of observations:
>
> - - Jim asked us to remove 'zodbcode' and dependencies ('zope.app.module',
>   'zope.app.interface').

Check. I moved those to the "deprecated" list.

> - - 'zope.decorator' doesn't belong at all:  it is merely a BBB location
>   for stuff now in 'zope.security' / 'zope.proxy'.

And the package name already said so. I've also moved it to the
"deprecated" list.

> - - I think that any package on the list which is not used (transitively)
>   by either Grok or Zope2 should be excluded, unless there is a
>   developer who will champion it.
>
>   o The packages required for Zope2 are listed here:
>     http://svn.zope.org/Zope/trunk/versions.cfg?view=markup
>     The 'zodbcode' and 'zope.app.interface' items there are not actually
>     needed, AFAICT.
>
>   o The Grok list is here:
>     http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/grok-1.0a4.cfg
>     I don't know whether Grok actually needs 'zodbcode' /
>     'zope.app.interface', either.

Hmm. There's quite some truth here. I think this needs discussion. I'm
also currently trying to figure out how stakeholders of the app server
formerly known as Zope 3 will proceed. This would also need to be taken
into account for this.

> - - I think clustering the list into groups of related pacakges would be
>   helpful, as well.  E.g.:
>
>   "Bicycle-seat Toolkit"
>   ----------------------
>   zope.component
>   zope.configuration
>   zope.event
>   zope.i18nmessageid
>   zope.interface
>   zope.schema
>   zope.testing
>

>   "Zope Page Templates"
>   ---------------------
>   zope.pagetemplate
>   zope.tal
>   zope.tales
>

>   "DTML / STX"
>   ------------
>   zope.documenttemplate
>   zope.structuredtext
>

>   Proxy wrappers (require C extensions)
>   -------------------------------------
>   zope.deferredimport
>   zope.deprecation (actually, doesn't require zope.proxy)
>   zope.location
>   zope.proxy
>   zope.security
>
>   ... and so forth.

Sounds like a good idea in addition to the life-cycle information that
is currently there. I'd rather first decide which packages we leave in
before clustering them, though.

> - - Links to the dependency graphs for each toolkit package would be
>   helpful, too.

I was thinking about some dashboard for getting an overview for all
managed packages anyway. I've added that thought to the list of
information it should provide. (It's in the open issues document for
now.)

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com