[Zope-dev] Broken authentication with zope.app.component 3.4.1 BBB code

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Mon Jul 20 10:09:23 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 06:44:09AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Michael Howitz<mh at gocept.com> wrote:
> > Do you search this one?
> >
> > zope.app.zopeappgenerations.ZopeAppSchemaManager
>
> Ah, thanks.
>
> So this is all rather confusing.  Marius' branch refer to files that
> aren't in zope.app.component anymore.

This probably means that if one wants to use an old Zope 3.2 DB with
Zope 3.5 (is that a good name for the current "trunk" KGS?), one needs
to upgrade to 3.4 and then run a custom generation script to activate
and dirty all objects to cause re-pickling.  Right?

> The relevant code has moved to
> zope.site, so, unless I'm missing something, Marius' patches seem
> largely irrelevant.

For some definition of relevance.

They're irrelevant for KGS 3.5, since old DB won't work in any case.

They're relevant for KGS 3.4, which appears to be a necessary
intermediate step in any migration from 3.2 to 3.5.

> The evolve4 script in zope.app.zopeappgenerations refers to a
> _evolve_to_generation_4 method that isn't anywhere on the trunk
> anymore, but is in the back35.py file that Marius edited. It looks
> like the schema manager in zope.app.zopeappgenerations needs to get
> cleaned up.
>
> My suspicion is that it would be best to add a schema manager in
> zope.site that makes sure that the root site manager has a proper
> __bases__.

I also wonder if __bases__ on subsites are migrated correctly.  We don't
use subsites so the question is largely theoretical.

Marius Gedminas