[Zope-dev] Integrating Five code properly into Zope2?

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Thu Jul 30 14:09:53 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Tres Seaver<tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> I'd like to push code and ZCML from Products.Five into the appropriate
>> places in Zope2.
>
> +1 in general, as long as we don't let any zope.app dependencies leak
> out while this happens.

Hhm, personally I don't care that much if we "fix and remove" the
zope.app dependencies later on from Five or somewhere else inside the
Zope2 distribution. But I'll try to keep an eye on that.

> I would also be +1 to removing the formlib and viewlet integration into
> separate eggs:  I don't think either of them belongs in core Zope2 at
> all, and anybody who wants the features should be able to pull in the
> eggs (call them 'five.formlib' and 'five.viewlets', or something).

I thought about that as well for a while.

If more people agree on that, I think this is sensible to do. For both
of these leaving indefinite compatibility imports in place that point
to the new packages defeats the purpose of loosing the dependencies,
though.

So how exactly would a deprecation of this code look like? Make the
two new five.* distributions available with the current code now, use
zope.deprecation to import but warn about the removal in 2.13 and
remove the whole code in 2.14? Or can we still stick the deprecation
into 2.12 and already remove in 2.13?

Hanno