[Zope-dev] ZODB moved class upgrade script Was: zope.testrunner import location notifications

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Tue Jun 23 10:19:20 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 09:49 +0200, Christian Theune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 12:42 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > (in particular Christian Theune)
> >
> > What's the status of the 'import location' notification functionality in
> > zope.testrunner?
> >
> > What's the status of the ZODB migration code?
>
> Done. I just released the package `zodbupgrade` on PyPI providing a tool
> and some documentation how to apply it to your databases
>
> I got the idea of also providing a way to describe renames/moves
> (possibly using entry points for hooking up the declaration) and that
> can manipulate databases when the code is gone already so we can migrate
> in one go instead of using intermediate releases.

I've released the second version of this tool which I consider stable.
It is now called ``zodbupdate``.

The major shift is that it allows to provide a pre-defined set of
class-renaming rules and can rewrite pickles in ZODBs without having the
actual code activated in the Python interpreter. It does this by dis-
and re-assembling the pickles.

I consider the ZODB migration code project to be finished with this.

@Martijn: Did we have a place somewhere in the documentation that needs
to be updated to reference this?

Cheers,
Christian