[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Tue Mar 3 00:29:12 EST 2009

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just realized the irony in this:
>
> [Martijn spends a lot of time in trying to solve problems in our
> community, bothering to consult lots of people and writing up a document]
>
> [Chris]
>> I'm pretty sure a steering group and a rebranding of existing software is not
>> going to make us more effective.  Here's what I believe would make us more
>> effective:
>
> Bam, all of Martijn's proposals shot dead entirely.
>
> [Chris, again]
>> - discourage the contribution of stop energy (discourage
>>   the utterances of "don't", "stop", "this is wrong",
>>   "stop talking about this").
>
> Chris, do you see any irony in this too?

I really do appreciate the effort, apologies if my response seemed like stop
energy.  To be honest, I'm just not very interested in talking about solving
Zope "brand" issues anymore.  The brand is too large, and too diffuse, and
controlled by an entity that is not very connected to the community anymore.
Much of the time, the positive value of the brand is often outweighed by its
negative value.

IMO, we should just try to solve problems we actually have under whatever brand
the problem seems to fit under best that *doesn't* have the baggage of the Zope
name.  We have a good number of brands now (grok, repoze, plone).  These brands
*do* have leadership and structure and forward momentum.  Let's use it.

- C