[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Tue Mar 3 02:42:21 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 08:35 +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 04:13, Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wonder what Lennart's solution would be too... Taking a page out of
> > Plone's history:
>
> I was evidently unclear:
>
> My solution is in three parts:
>
> 1. Areas that need somebody responsible should get one. We need
> somebody to bug people about bugs in the bug tracker. That should be
> one person, for example. Responsibilities need to be well defined and
> individual. There isn't anybody called Someone here, so if Someone has
> to do it, that doesn't get done.

That's a valid point. However, the steering group was thought of with
having "fail over" in mind so that few people would know about the tasks
at hand and can jump in for each other (in a coordinated fashion).

Also, the steering group idea doesn't exclude the option of appointing
individual people for certain jobs.

However, the group should be able to make a better job at keeping things
in flow and focused.

> 2. To get things done release-wise, I think it would be good to have a
> release-team for each release. And that would reasonable be different
> teams for Zope2 and Zope 3, and possibly even for The  Zope Framework,
> obviously most likely with personnel overlaps.
>
> 3. To steer, and keep the community on track, I think regular meetings
> of people in real life will beat any steering group, all hands down.
> This would best happen at the same time as a conference, and either
> the Plone conference or PyCon or Europython.

As much as I prefer discussing with people in real life, there is the
notion of "no backroom conversations" WRT to driving development of an
open source project.

Having major issues resolved in RL meetings will exclude all those whose
schedules don't match and those who can't afford to travel to Far Far
Away.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com