[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Kent Tenney ktenney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:18:24 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:

> On 03.03.2009 15:37 Uhr, Kent Tenney wrote:

>>> Exactly. And that's what we currently don't have.

>>> True - but to me it seems that this happened because someone took leadership
>>> in this scenario.

>>> All that is true and very positive, but what has not happened and maybe never
>>> will that way, is the aggregation of all those Zope 3 efforts, documentation,
>>> website and the like. And that is something very important in order to
>>> attract a broader user base.

>>> That's fine for one thing: Newbies don't know which packages are maintained
>>> and which are not. They find themselves confronted with a bunch of packages
>>> and don't know what they should use and what not. Example: zope.formlib vs.
>>> z3c.form.
>>> For instance, I decided to use lovely.remotetask - but I recognized that the
>>> last commit is quite some time ago and don't really know if it's actively
>>> used/maintained.
>>
>> I'll chime in as a newbie.
>>
>> It seems many of the comments preferring ad-hoc to structure
>> come from "we know what we are doing, we can take care of ourselves"
>>
>> I think Zope has the goal of attracting new users, and the proposal
>> has potential to make Zope more inviting to the uninitiated.
>>
>> Zope is very diffuse, making it a challenge to grasp. I know I would benefit
>> from any initiative which sought to provide an overview role.
>>

> I started up with something for zope2.zope.org in order to bring
> sort out the various things a bit:
>
> http://zope2.zopyx.de/about-zope-2/the-zope-eco-system

That's very useful, and seems to describe the theory of the Zope world.
In theory, theory and practice are the same, in practice they are not.

My post was prompted by the mention of knowing which of several
similar components is preferred, deprecated, abandoned.

Maybe this doesn't fall within the proposal, but it strikes me as
an element of 'steering'.

I think that watching exchanges between a steering entity and the dev community
would be a good vantage point for getting a picture of the Zope landscape.

Thanks,
Kent