[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 3 11:17:00 EST 2009

Hi there,

Tres Seaver wrote:
[snip]
> Stephan, I *have* managed a large set, and I'm *certain* that the KGS is
> useful for many cases:  it just doesn't work for me for any large
> production application:  I don't want to rely on the iffy availability
> of eggs from PyPI, for instance, which means that running a separate,
> per-project index is my only recourse anyway.  Once you are running your
> own index, it's contents *are* a KGS, just not one managed using the
> 'versions.cfg' machinery.
>
> That said, I do appreciate the work you have done and are doing to make
> the KGS useful for others.

Distinguish KGS the concept (a list of locked down versions as
suggestions to users of the framework) from KGS the implementation.

Let's agree on the *concept* of a locked down list of versions that's
maintained by the community, or in fact more than one such list.

If people want to diverge in the implementation, fine. Different
implementations have different advantages during development and deployment.

Regards,

Martijn