[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 3 12:05:52 EST 2009

Hi there,

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> 1. Areas that need somebody responsible should get one. We need
> somebody to bug people about bugs in the bug tracker. That should be
> one person, for example. Responsibilities need to be well defined and
> individual. There isn't anybody called Someone here, so if Someone has
> to do it, that doesn't get done.

Who defines these responsibilities and hands them out? Who reminds
people of bits of the project that could use a responsible person to
take charge?

I'm asking this as I've taken this role for the Grok project, and
sometimes my reminding results in volunteers taking responsibility for a
bit of the project, whether it's code or documentation or management.
Without someone who identifies these responsibilities, there's far less
chance of people taking them.

> 2. To get things done release-wise, I think it would be good to have a
> release-team for each release. And that would reasonable be different
> teams for Zope2 and Zope 3, and possibly even for The  Zope Framework,
> obviously most likely with personnel overlaps.

Are you talking about a team like the Plone Framework team that guides
development leading *up* to a release (and including it), or are you
talking about a team of people who set up the KGS, write release notes
and release packages to PyPI?

> 3. To steer, and keep the community on track, I think regular meetings
> of people in real life will beat any steering group, all hands down.
> This would best happen at the same time as a conference, and either
> the Plone conference or PyCon or Europython.

Whoever shows up will have the say and people not there will just have
to put up with it? I think that works to a certain extent in sprints,
but we are an internet based open source project and we should have ways
to make progress while distributed.

Who is doing to take care about such decisions being executed when we're
back online again after a meeting? Is anyone going to keep track of
decisions made and remind people to finish up on efforts started?

> I think this will give us enough steering. We aren't as many people as
> for example Plone or Python. Maybe, if we get everybody on track, we
> will be, and then we'll have to rethink. But currently the people
> involved, and the people that need to be "steered" are so few we can
> fit them all into one room at a time. And then I do not see why would
> would need a steering group.

I don't agree that we have such a small group. It's also a question
about whether we really *want* this to be a small group.

I also don't think this is a sound mechanism in the long run. People are
going to inevitably drop out from our community and we need fresh blood,
also for fresh ideas and energy. If the only decisions are going to be
made in real life meetings, there'll be little chance new people will
get involved, as they'd not show up to such meetings.

Regards,

Martijn