[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Wed Mar 4 04:56:55 EST 2009

Am Mittwoch 04 März 2009 10:25:19 schrieb Lennart Regebro:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:04, Hermann Himmelbauer <dusty at qwer.tk> wrote:
> > What I don't see in your proposal is, how these subset-groups would be
> > coordinated, which leads to the following:
> > - How does some foreigner know, if a package is actively supported,
> > umaintaned, deprecated etc.? How does he know, what packages exist, what
> > they are good for and the like? For instance, I yesterday wrote that I
> > use lovely.remotetask, then I was asked on the list why I did not use the
> > (maybe better) zc.async package. Know why? I did not know that it
> > existed.
> >
> > - I think, Zope 3 is not only about some seperate packages, but about a
> > complete "programming experience". Thus there needs to be some
> > integrating force, that draws together all these packages, writes some
> > documentation / tutorial / website etc.
> >
> > - Newbies won't be attracted by single packages. Instead, they want
> > something complete. Who would be interested in Plone if it would consist
> > of various packages that people would have to draw together by
> > themselves, without decent documentation?
> >
> > To my mind, one key point is attracting more users. And that can only be
> > done if we try to view things from an external, newbie-perspective. Some
> > Ruby on Rails / Java / Turbogears programmer will only be attracted by
> > some "big picture" but probably not by a collection of some subpackages.
> >
> > So, my impression is that there is a need for some steering group, that
> > will, however, encourage people to form groups around packages and
> > maintain them.
>
> The steering group would not and could not help with any of these problems.

Why? Can you elaborate? Who/what group woud play that central/integrating
role? Maybe we have different perceptions of a "steering group", but my
impression was that this group would see the above points as their key
topics.

Maybe I don't get your point, but your suggestion seems to be to "let things
go in a natural flow as it happens now". But that would imply that the
current situation is satisfying, which seems not to be, as can be read in all
those various posts regarding this topic.

What would be further interesting is, if there are any successful open-source
projects, that implement such a non-leadership/natural flow model, because
I'm not aware of any.

Best Regards,
Hermann

hermann at qwer.tk
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7