[Zope-dev] the future of ZCML slugs?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Mar 4 19:01:55 EST 2009

Hi there,

Tres Seaver wrote:
[snip]
> Those files exist to allow for a use case we may have abandoned, which
> is allowing packages to be installed in such a way that a tool could
> help users enable / disable their configurations, without mutating
> something like 'site.zcml'.  The folks who might have that usecase are
> those who package zope3 components for deployment outside buildout (as
> .deb / .rpm, etc.)

True. Perhaps Brian Sutherland could tell us?

I could certainly imagine automation that generated such slugs
automatically and I don't believe such slugs exist many of our packages,
so I suspect the use case has been abandoned quite a while ago.

> I don't know if there is such an audience;  Benji also pointed out that
> he thought there were such folks.  My initial reaction to Dan's removal
> was that the checkin message ("remove zpkg stuff") had nothing to do
> with that particular change:  'zpkg' was entirely separate from slugs.

That's true, it's unrelated.

Let's see whether any of this audience will speak up and say they're
still using slugs. I think that still shouldn't stop us from *still*
getting rid of them, but let's gather a bit more information first. If
we get no information, we should certainly get rid of them.

I also took this opportunity to record our decision concerning ZPKG
stuff (which isn't slugs, I'll record that separately when we reach a
decision).

Regards,

Martijn