[Zope-dev] zc.relationship - can't pickle module objects

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 09:19:19 EDT 2009

Hi Gary,

> zc.relationship 2.0 trunk is now essentially a wrapping of zc.relation
> code for backwards compatibility.

I see. But 2.0dev on pypi isn't?

What's the story behind zc.relation and the evolution of zc.relationship?

> You guys are the main clients for zc.relationship at this point, I
> suspect.

Possibly, yes. ;-)

> As I see it, your relatively reasonable options are these:
>
> - MOST WORK: Move the plone.relation code to depend on zc.relation.
> There is an upgrade path for the old indexes.  You would need to copy
> over the old zc.relationship relationship containers to the Plone
> package.  IIRC, Alec's tests of those bits were good, and you could
> just keep the bits from zc.relationship you needed.  ZODB module path
> issues in legacy databases would be among the more annoying bits of
> this approach, though we all know the usual solutions there.

I think we'd need Alec to find the time to do this if it's to happen,
but it does sound like the better option.

> - LESS WORK: See how zc.relationship trunk works for you.  If it makes
> the code happy, I can release it or help you to do so.  It's certainly
> been sitting around long enough.  Then at least you are sitting
> (indirectly) on top of zc.relation, the package that (for instance)
> Martijn F.'s Grok work exercises.  This would be my preferred
> compromise between effort and migration.  The problem here is that it
> probably does depend on ZODB 3.8, and I'd rather not make the
> zc.relation code support the older spellings, so that's probably out
> for you unless you want to make a concrete counter-proposal in this
> regard.

Well, having a version that only works with ZODB 3.8 isn't *terrible*,
it's just annoying. If and when Plone actually ships with five.intid and
plone.relations, it'll be on ZODB 3.8 anyway. It's just a bit more work
for people wanting to use it.

> - LEAST WORK: Figure out what's wrong with zc.relationship 1.1.  What
> you described sounds trivial to fix, and I don't have any ethical
> issues over only supporting the most recent release of the 1.x line,
> so I don't want to think about the earlier releases.  I suspect this
> is what you want.  We can make a 1.1.1 release and you can move on.

Hopefully. Do we know that zc.relationship 1.1 works with both ZODB
versions?

What's the difference between 1.1.1 and 2.0dev on pypi?

Martin