[Zope-dev] Common permissions (final bits of zope.app.security refactoring)

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Mar 25 03:35:13 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 15:32 +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hey Dan,
>
> Thanks very much for this analysis and summary! My comments below.
>
> Dan Korostelev wrote:
> > To be honest, I don't quite get the difference between zope.ManageSite
> > and zope.ManageServices. Can someone clear this point for me? May be
> > they should be merged somehow.
>
> I'm afraid I don't know either. If we want to merge them we'd need to do
> some analysis of places where they are used. For now, move them both over.

Services used to be a concept of the Component Architecture. This might
be a remnant permission. Is it actually used somewhere? If so, I guess
that it's fine to fold that permission into zope.ManageSite.

> I will note that zope.app.applicationcontrol contains code that looks
> reusable, even though it is indeed a bit more "application-like". Grok's
> grokui.admin uses it so it'd be interesting to extract this code into a
> library we can use.
>
> I also just discovered zope.app.applicationcontrol doesn't seem to
> declare its dependencies right - it appears to depend on
> zope.app.appsetup for instance while it doesn't actually declare it.
>
> Anyway, we can always move zope.ManageApplication into
> zope.app.applicationcontrol when we want to, so leave it in
> zope.app.security for now.

ManageSite and ManageApplication differ in the sense that ManageSite
very likely only applies locally (at a site) whereas the application is
a global thing (the server that runs everything) that needs management
(like shutting down the server) independent of giving someone the right
to administer a site (or even the top-level site).

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com