[Zope-dev] setting missing minimum version in setup.py

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Mar 25 10:46:30 EDT 2009

Hey,

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
[snip]
> This is an important point. As I see it the KGS is a Zope-only thing,
> and is just a workaround for the mindless behaviour of setuptools. I do
> not see it gaining acceptance outside of the Zope community, and imho
> effort is better spent on improving the packaging tools.

KGS is two things:

* KGS the software

* KGS the concept

KGS the concept will have a life outside of the Zope world. KGS the
concept is very easy to implement; you just make available on some URL a
buildout versions.cfg, or you run your own package index.

I'll note that buildout seems to be clawing to a life outside of the
Zope world; I know of several Django users that adopted it. It'd be much
more popular if we had a good bunch of beginner level tutorials for it.

Anyway, we've already decided to use setup.py dependencies for API
compatibility. That's the best you're going to get out of us for a while.

Regards,

Martijn