[Zope-dev] dropping Python 2.4 support in the Zope Toolkit?

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Tue May 5 10:06:06 EDT 2009

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> [snip]
>> But you can use a lot of the Zope Toolkit with Zope 2.10, which is an
>> enormous benefit.
>
> No, you can't, as far as I can tell. You'd have to remove Zope 3
> entirely from Zope 2.10, and Plone relies on Zope 3, so this sounds
> unfeasible. The burden of evidence is on the people making this claim.

Sorry, but we do this all the time. Thanks to buildout and explicit
version pins its a piece of cake to get a zope.i18n 3.6 or whatever
version used instead of the zope.i18n shipped inside the Zope2 tarball.

I haven't done a project for more than two years now where I didn't
upgrade one of the zope.* packages with some newer version.

Hanno

P.S. Note that to make this happen we added the whole fake-zope-eggs
story to the zope2install recipe, so all the zope.* packages inside the
tarball are exposed as if they where installed as eggs.