[Zope-dev] dropping Python 2.4 support in the Zope Toolkit?

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Tue May 5 20:51:57 EDT 2009

Hanno Schlichting wrote:

> Personally I don't care if the ZTK doesn't officially support Python 2.4
> anymore, as long as nobody will try to actively remove Python 2.4
> support. For my part I'd be happy to take care of the BBB support for
> those packages I use.

I think this would be acceptable as well, *if* supporting Python 2.4 in
ZTK became more of a burden than an inconvenience.

We can run the tests before a release. We don't need every developer to
do everything in triplicate just because we support different versions.
And of course, those who are interested in Python 2.4 compatibility
should cough up and contribute to make that work.

And as I've said all along: if some package really want or need to use
things that are part of 2.5 but not 2.4, then that's a good argument
*for* breaking compatibility in those cases. I just have a problem with
putting the "burden of proof" on those who argue for not breaking with
the platforms we currently support.

Martin