[Zope-dev] "ZTK" futures: one big package?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Mon May 11 12:17:51 EDT 2009

A couple of things:

- If it helps to think of this thing as not-the-ZTK, that's fine.  I don't care
what it's called.  Maybe "the ZTK" is another package that depends on this big
thing plus all the broken out bits.

- There's very little work to doing this.  You make an SVN directory that has
externals pointing at each of these packages, write a setup.py that includes
them all, and ship it.

- I'm not proposing that we "destroy" existing dependency info.  I'm just saying
that sometimes it doesn't matter.  Some of the bits we're trying to make useful
independendently don't make sense to make independent of each other:
zope.app.principalannotation, zope.app.dublincore, zope.app.ftp, zope.site,
zope.copypastemove, and so forth.  It seems to me very silly to continue
pretending that these could ever have a meaningful life of their own.

- There's nothing precious about the current packaging structure *except* for
backwards compatibility.  The original egg-ification of Zope 3 was a largely
mechanical procedure.  I hope you'd agree that if we had it all to do over
again, there would be far fewer setuptools distributions; each would provide
some bit of logical functionality instead of happening to be a directory in SVN.

- I don't disagree that this large distribution has to *depend* on
zope.component/zope.interface etc.  It's just in a structure where the large
distribution becomes a set of packages that can't have their dependencies teased
apart (distributed as a sngle setuptools distribution), it falls out that it's
"not part of the large distribution", just a dependency of it.

I think at some point it's best to just declare defeat, realize that the current
packaging structure and distribution strategy is very artificial, realize that
the granularity that the 100+ egg strategy gets for us is way, way too granular,
and package up the bits that really don't *need* to have a life of their own
into some large setuptools distribution.

I don't really care if that thing is called "the ZTK", just that it exists.  If
later it turns out that some piece of functionality in that distribution *is*
useful outside, we take it out, make sure it doesn't depend on anything in the
large distribution, and make the large distribution depend on it.

Another thing is this: even if we're successful in teasing out dependency info
so we do have a collection of truly independently useful things, after it's all
over, we're going to get to a point one way or another where we make a big
package of stuff that just can't have its dependencies teased apart because it
*really is just one thing*.  Why *not* just do it now?

- C