[Zope-dev] "ZTK" futures: one big package?

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Wed May 13 11:08:01 EDT 2009

The implementation details are over my head, but what SchoolTool needs
is a middle ground between one big package and a giant pile of little
ones, because our primary deployment strategy is via Linux
distribution packaging, in Debian/Ubuntu in particular.

Currently, Fabio maintains an official monolithic package for Debian,
and we generate a giant pile of .debs from eggs and keep them in a
PPA.  Because there is administrative overhead with every package,
even if we can eventually come to consensus on the desirability or
pushing 70 tiny packages into the Debian pipeline, it may never be
practical.

So a single, community-recognized ZTF that would be the foundation of
manageable packaging for Linux distros would be a huge win for us.

--Tom