[Zope-dev] "ZTK" futures: one big package?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed May 13 13:02:53 EDT 2009

Tom Hoffman wrote:
> The implementation details are over my head, but what SchoolTool needs
> is a middle ground between one big package and a giant pile of little
> ones, because our primary deployment strategy is via Linux
> distribution packaging, in Debian/Ubuntu in particular.
>
> Currently, Fabio maintains an official monolithic package for Debian,
> and we generate a giant pile of .debs from eggs and keep them in a
> PPA.  Because there is administrative overhead with every package,
> even if we can eventually come to consensus on the desirability or
> pushing 70 tiny packages into the Debian pipeline, it may never be
> practical.
>
> So a single, community-recognized ZTF that would be the foundation of
> manageable packaging for Linux distros would be a huge win for us.

That's a good point.

I can imagine this giant .deb is created from a combination of a KGS
list of versions and downloading them together.

But having a clearer picture of which packages we truly mark as reusable
outside of Zope would also help inform the decisions on what to package
for debian as seperate packages, and what to package as a whole.

Regards,

Martijn