[Zope-dev] zope.container analysis

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri May 15 07:24:47 EDT 2009

Hey,

Chris McDonough wrote:
> On 5/14/09 11:05 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:
>> zope.container (32 transitive dependencies) has some possibly low-hanging
>> dependency  tease-apart fruit.  Does anyone have any ideas about to sort out the
>> below, particularly with externalizing the mentioned interface dependencies?
>>
>> - It depends on zope.filerepresentation but depends only on its interfaces
>>     IReadDirectory, IWriteDirectory, and IDirectoryFactory.
>>     (zope.filerepresentation has 32 transitive dependencies).
>
> I found out that zope.container<->zope.filerepresentation is a direct circular
> dependency and that zope.filerepresentation is a package containing only
> interfaces. So breaking this dependency won't get us much for zope.container.

I should've read on before I gave you the same answer. :) We found this
out during our analysis during the dependency refactoring sprint we had
a few months ago. In this I find graphs an invaluable tool, especially
sccmap which I mentioned just now in another reply.

> OTOH, breaking zope.filerepresentation's dependency on zope.container might be a
> win (I dont know what else depends on zope.filerepresentation).

That I don't know. I don't expect it's much, however, as otherwise
zope.filerepresentation would've seen seen in larger cycles during
sccmap analysis.

Regards,

Martijn