[Zope-dev] RFC: zope.app.pagetemplate.engine dependencies

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Mon May 25 12:37:50 EDT 2009

Resolution #1
=============

Whereas:

- - The 'zope.app.pagetemplate.engine' module pulls in nothing from
  'zope.app' packages except some antique testing support in doctest;

- - that module is potentially useful outside the scope of the Zope3 ZMI;

therefore be it resolved:

- - that we move the 'engine' module to 'zope.pagetemplate', along with
  its supporting scaffolding, and clean up the tests.

Resolution #2
=============

Whereas:

- - The 'evaluateInlineCode' support in the 'engine' module has
  no tests;

- - its comments indicate that it exists to support 'zope.app.pythonpage',
  which doesn't even import the module;

- - third-party consumers of the feature have a recently-released version
  of the egg which they can continue using indefinitely;

therefore be it resolved:

- - that we remove the code entirely, documenting the backward
  incompatibility in a new feature release.

Resolution #3
=============

Whereas:

- - In Zope2, the 'Products.PageTemplates.Expressions' module depends
  on the 'zope.app.pagetemplates.engine' module, but only uses its
  'ZopeEngine' class;

- - Zope2 further supplies its own context class (to avoid using the Zope3
  security model);

- - one remaining bit of non-overridden functionality is the Zope3-
  proxified 'getFunctionNamespace' wrapper, which probably won't work
  at all as intended;

- - the other bit is the use of the AdapterNamespaces bit, which feeds
  into the 'getFunctionNamespace' bit;

therefore be it resolved:

- - that we forego using the 'ZopeEngine' class completely in Zope2,
  providing instead a forked / simplified implementation.

Debate, anyone?

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com