[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zope.app.http/trunk/ - Replacedthedependency on zope.deprecation with BBB imports

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Wed May 27 08:06:03 EDT 2009

Hi Reinout

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zope.app.http/trunk/
> - Replacedthedependency on zope.deprecation with BBB imports
>
> On 2009-05-26, Roger Ineichen <dev at projekt01.ch> wrote:
> > Some people think it's better to have a nice clean log then
> > deprecation warnings on server startup. I still don't
> understand the
> > reason if there is any. Probably others can explain why we skip the
> > deprecation warnings which is a hugh win for migration tasks.
>
> Main reason: often you get buried in deprecation warnings
> which then drown out potentially more important warnings.
>
> When migrating: yes, such deprecation warnings are handy.
> But in 99% of the cases you'll just be *using* the various
> libraries and you still get a load of warnings.
>
> Complaints/questions about the huge list of deprecation
> warnings in earlier plone versions were a regular occurrence
> on the mailinglists.
>

> So: yes, there's a reason.  Perhaps not the best one, but still.

I think there is something else wrong if someone is using
code with deprecation warnings in a production setup.

The deprecation warning should never show up on a production
server because you have to make sure that you don't use
deprecated code. That's the only goal of the deprecation system.

Your reason says that you like to use packages
with deprecated code in a production setup. On the other
side developer which take care on deprecated code can't be
sure that we use deprecateded code or not. That's not nice.

I was afraid excatly of this use case. Skiping deprecation
warnings is a workarround for official release and use
deprecated code instead of update everything.

A good solution whould prevent to use deprecated code
in a production setup and not only skip the deprecation
warnings because we as developer know that this will
also works.

btw,
I also think indirect imports are not the same as
deprecated imports. Of corse a deprecated import is
a indirect import but a indirect import is not implicit
a deprecated import. That's just a very ugly pattern
for do something which should be done in another way.

Parsing "# BBB" comments whould be a better solution
for find deprecated imports.

Regards
Roger Ineichen