[Zope-dev] RFC: Site -> Locus

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu May 28 07:39:56 EDT 2009

Hey,

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> On May 28, 2009, at 13:08 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> What do people think about:
>>
>> * the idea of renaming Site to Locus
>
> I think that's a terrible name. While "site" at least means something
> to people, "locus" doesn't carry any meaning in the specific knowledge
> domain you're trying to push it into.

But the whole point is that while "site" means something to people, it
gives people the *wrong* idea about what the functionality is actually
about.

A site in Zope terminology is something where local components can be
registered and found. A site in any other web terminology means "web
site". "site" having a meaning to people already is actually a bad
thing. If they see the word 'locus' they get two possible clues:

* this is something I don't understand yet, so I need to figure it out.

* Hm, I wonder whether it has something to do with local utilities.

> P.S.: "Lokus" is a slang word for toilet in German. Great connotation.
> My utilities need to go into the dump.

Yes, many words we can use are bad slang word in some other language.
Locus is also commonly used in genetics, my genes in the dump. :) We
just need to watch out for slang words in English.

Regards,

Martijn