[Zope-dev] RFC: Site -> Locus

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Thu May 28 08:57:18 EDT 2009

Hi Martjin, Christian

> Betreff: [Zope-dev] RFC: Site -> Locus

[...]

> The second plan is my favorite if it is possible
> dependency-wise and zope.component doesn't take on new
> dependencies. I think support for local components could very
> well be part of zope.component conceptually.
> It would allow us to eliminate one package (zope.site)
> without introducing any new packages (the other plan
> increases the amount of packages by one, trading zope.site
> for zope.locuscontainer).
>
> What do people think about:
>
> * the idea of renaming Site to Locus

Oh my god, many -1

> * the plan for refactoring?

I think we have other things to cleanup in zope.site
befor we think about to split something out as the same
as before.

What I like to see is that we remove the default Folder
container and simplify the hole implementation.

Since Jim and Stephan refactored the component registry
we are able to skip the half setup we use today.

There is no need to support a default Folder for our
utilities since we can registrer utilities everywhere.
Such registered component will get found, doesnt' matter
where they are located etc.

I think a dependency cleanup and split the same old bad
concept into different packages is not usefull right now.

Are you aware of all the overhead we have in zope.site
right now?

We also have a bad/broken registry. I think Christian Theuni
also knows about it. Not sure if this is fixed or if
some utility registrations still hang arround in the
local registry but shouldn't. If so, we have to take care
if we touch the existing implementation and find out what
could happen on all our production systems. And we need to
support a fix for this broken registrations befor we touch or
move something.

Chistian,
are I'm correct that you run itno that too. Did you fix
something in zope.app.site once or did you add an issue
on launchpad? I remember something but not sure if I'm correct.

Regards
Roger Ineichen