[Zope-dev] Setuptools / Distribute

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Tue Nov 17 10:39:31 EST 2009

Am 17.11.2009, 16:35 Uhr, schrieb Attila Oláh <attilaolah at gmail.com>:

> One minor note, if you use the new bootstrap.py provided by distribute
> ( http://python-distribute.org/bootstrap.py ), and you try to
> bootstrap a project where the system-wide setuptools is older (on many
> systems it's still 0.6c9), it will fail, asking you to upgrade to
> 0.6c11, which will force you to bootstrap inside a virtualenv (which
> is silly) in case you don't have access to upgrade the system-wide
> setuptools. Although this behavior might have changed in the last
> week, the distribute folks are doing a real good job.

I was using the most recent versions from MacPorts:

fuchsia:trunk charlieclark$ port info py26-pip
py26-pip @0.6 (python, www)

mostly the same techniques for finding packages, so packages that were
                       made easy_installable should be pip-installable as
well.
Homepage:             http://pip.openplans.org/

Library Dependencies: python26, py26-setuptools
Platforms:            darwin
License:              unknown
Maintainers:          arthurk at macports.org, openmaintainer at macports.org
fuchsia:trunk charlieclark$ port info py26-distribute
py26-distribute @0.6.8 (python, devel)

is intended to replace Setuptools as the standard method for
                       working with Python module distributions.
Homepage:             http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute/

Library Dependencies: python26
Conflicts with:       py26-setuptools
Platforms:            darwin