[Zope-dev] implementing zope.component 4.0

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Mon Nov 30 08:45:15 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> We could also say that we will clean up the API when we move to Python
> 3. That is a natural breaking point anyway, so it will not any extra
> pain for users of the ZCA.

Except that is precisely what the Python developers have asked
everyone not to do. So far the story is that the upgrade to Python 3
can be done largely automatic and a codebase for 2.x and 3.x can be
maintained automatically and kept in sync.

Once you introduce semantic instead of syntactic differences outside
Python 3 itself into the whole mix, it gets virtually impossible to
maintain a codebase that works on both 2.x and 3.x.

So while the Python 3 uptake is still slow, I think we shouldn't add
more roadblocks onto that path.

Hanno