[Zope-dev] Updating the ZTK KGS

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Mon Oct 5 11:00:23 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Thomas Lotze <tl at gocept.com> wrote:
> I see two options:
>
> - make ztk.cfg available from zope.org (why docs.zope.org, btw?) under a
>  versioned URL
>
> - release a ztk egg that depends on the exactly versioned packages
>
> The latter is probably the more reusable.

I'd suggest to follow the Zope2 approach and provide both an index and
a versions.cfg at a permanent place. The result looks like this:
http://download.zope.org/Zope2/index/2.12.0/

You can use this with both easy_install and buildout easily. Andreas
wrote a very simple script that is able to produce such a minimal
listing.

I don't see how a ZTK meta-egg would be of any value. Given that the
number of packages included in the ZTK will change quite a bit over
time, it doesn't make sense to depend on a ZTK egg for a package, as
it doesn't provide any real stable contract. An egg with hard coded
exact version numbers is pretty painful as well, as you cannot
override those requirements to go for selected newer versions of any
packages pinned in such a way. Opting for a newer zope.testing release
for example is quite a common requirement.

I don't think it makes sense for anyone to "install the entire ZTK".
Projects being built on top of the ZTK are most often only interested
in a part of the ZTK and will depend on such packages explicitly. What
is valuable for those, is the stability contract between various
versions of packages in the ZTK.

Hanno