[Zope-dev] Bazaar 2.0 (was Re: Subversion externals versus mirroring)

Gary Poster gary.poster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 13:38:26 EDT 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 2:02 PM, Gary Poster wrote:
> Once Bzr 2.0 comes out (in less than a month AIUI), I'll at least
> send out a link to it and point out some changes made that
> specifically address concerns raised by Zope Foundation members when
> I raised Launchpad's/Canonical's offer before.  If there are any
> questions then, I'll be happy to try to get answers.

Bzr 2.0 is out.  I personally find the speed improvements very
impressive.  The new repository format is much smaller, and intended
to be stable, and the project has a adopted a six-month maintenance
release approach.

It has a new website.  http://bazaar-vcs.org/en/

It has a new front-end for Gnome/KDE/Mac OS X/Win.  The screenshots
look impressive to me, which is all I can vouch for.  http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/explorer/en/visual-tour-windows.html

Cross-platform end of line conversion is implemented, which was one of
the concerns raised earlier.  http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/en/user-reference/bzr_man.html#end-of-line-conversion

I don't remember if anyone brought up the lack of a parallel to svn
externals.  That functionality (called nested trees for bzr) is not
implemented yet.  It is important to Launchpad's usage of the tool,
though, so it is in the six-month pipeline, as I understand it.

I'm happy to try to field any questions if anyone has any.

Gary