[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zope.app.security/trunk/ keep trunk version at 0. Update changes

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Sep 11 09:07:56 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 04:23:31PM -0400, Benji York wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Alex Chapman<achapman at zope.com> wrote:
> >> Log message for revision 103721:
> >>  keep trunk version at 0. Update changes
> >
> > I think I've seen the practice of denoting the version on trunk as
> > "zero" from Jim already.
> >
> > It is in conflict with
> > http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/process/releasing-software.html
> > though.
> >
> > The majority of packages still uses the "version='3.4.2dev'" scheme
> > for trunk or branches. Pointing to the next release to be made with a
> > dev marker.
> >
> > Are there any particular reasons, why this policy should be changed?
>
> I like "0" for two reasons:
>
> 1) it doesn't require predicting what the next release will be,

This is why I'd be happier if setuptools supported/sanctioned the
convention sometimes used in Debian: after releasing version 1.2.3 change
it in trunk to 1.2.3+svn.

It has the downside that you're explicitly naming the version control
system you happen to use, but *shrug*, it doesn't have to always be
"svn".  Call it the 1.2.3+$vcs convention.

Currently I always assume the next release may be a tiny bugfix release,
so "1.2.3" becomes "1.2.4dev".  If I commit something that adds a
feature or breaks an API, I can change it to "1.3dev" or "2.0dev".
I like that it gives me a reminder of the scope of the changes made
since the last release, but, since I'm not disciplined enough to always
update the version number and changelog along with a page, I prefer
reviewing the full diff before releasing to make sure they're up to
date.

> 3) [no] superfluous version bumps on the trunk

I don't understand this one.  Could you elaborate?

> Amongst the reasons I like it are that:
>
> - when using a checkout as a develop egg you don't have to worry about finding
>   out the exact version used on the trunk, you can always just use 0.

That's nice.  I think I tried to use

  [versions]
  my-dev-package =

to force the regular "use latest" logic, but IIRC it didn't work well.

Marius Gedminas