[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zope.app.security/trunk/ keep trunk version at 0. Update changes

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Sep 11 12:01:33 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 09:53:51AM -0400, Benji York wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 04:23:31PM -0400, Benji York wrote:
> >> 3) [no] superfluous version bumps on the trunk
> >
> > I don't understand this one.  Could you elaborate?
>
> The current practice is that after doing a release you have to change
> the trunk version to the next release number (a version bump).

Right, but where does the "superfluous" come from?  You'd have to change
it to 0 anywa...

Ah, I just realized that you do the version change on the branch/tag, so
trunk always stays at version 0.

(I don't do that out of principle that tags ought not to be modified;
and besides in other VCSes they can't be.)

> >> - when using a checkout as a develop egg you don't have to worry about finding
> >>   out the exact version used on the trunk, you can always just use 0.
> >
> > That's nice.  I think I tried to use
> >
> >  [versions]
> >  my-dev-package =
>
> Yeah, it'd be nice if buildout allowed that or some other syntax (like
> "my-dev-package = *").

Marius Gedminas