[Zope-dev] Subversion externals versus mirroring

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Tue Sep 15 04:56:24 EDT 2009

On 14.09.09 20:02, Gary Poster wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2009, at 9:34 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
>

>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>>> Christian Theune wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> Please keep up posted. We have a standing offer from Canonical to
>>> host
>>> our stuff in bzr. The move of the Python core developers to
>>> mercurial is
>>> also interesting.
>>>
>> I've been impressed with TortoiseHg so far (after a few initial
>> hiccups)
>> and it looks like they're aiming to be cross platform with it, which
>> is
>> a pretty big draw, although the MacOS port isn't ready yet...
>>
>> How has TortoiseBzr progressed?
>>
> My understanding is that TortoiseBzr has largely withered on the vine
> in favor of a new effort: BzrExplorer, based on Qt, and running on
> Linux/Windows/Mac.
>
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrExplorer
>
> That page has links to lots of information.  The very little
> information I have is based on those pages, so, for now, please look
> there for now rather than asking me anything.
>
> Once Bzr 2.0 comes out (in less than a month AIUI), I'll at least send
> out a link to it and point out some changes made that specifically
> address concerns raised by Zope Foundation members when I raised
> Launchpad's/Canonical's offer before.  If there are any questions
> then, I'll be happy to try to get answers.
One personal aspect I would like to throw into the discussion:

Although it is possible to use hg/bzr/svn in parallel within a project
and a buildout, I am completely against having a mixture of SVN+HG
or SVN+BZR within a Plone project (where Zope stuff is coming from
BZR or HG) and the Plone stuff from SVN..if we want/need to switch
away from SVN then all other related projects should switch as well.

Andreas