[Zope-dev] zope.catalog in ZTK

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Sep 29 07:09:08 EDT 2009

Hi there,

Albertas Agejevas wrote:
[snip]
> About a year ago zope.app.catalog as been moved to zope.catalog.  I
> think during this move there was a unique opportunity to leave these
> event handlers behind in zope.app.catalog, so that the "no .app"
> version is free of these forced choices.

Doing this would have needed a migration strategy more complicated than
"Oh, I'm just going to lose the ZMI when I switch" and people's
applications somehow would have to gain registrations manually. I guess
a damn good changelog would've helped somewhat..

In general, I think it's not too bad we lose the ZMI in a step
separately from other policies. Changing too much in one step could be
more disruption than the community can manage.

> But perhaps it's not too
> late to do in now?  After all, no stable version of Zope 3 / ZTK
> codebase has been released after this move?  People relying on
> automatic indexing would have to register a couple of event handlers
> in their configurations (or include zope.app.catalog), but the rest of
> us would be able to choose the policy of how and when the objects are
> registered with IntIds and indexed in the catalog.

Would you propose the same treatment for zope.intid as well?

Would this involve removing the configure.zcml in these packages, or
what is your proposal exactly?

Again, it needs damn good documentation if we were to go ahead with
this, including details on how to register event handlers to accomplish
the previous behavior. Both the changelog and the documentation that
appears on pypi would need to be updated with instructions about what is
going on. This change would also definitely be worth a feature release.

+1 if documentation is good.

Regards,

Martijn