[Zope-dev] Launchpad gardening

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Apr 15 10:28:49 EDT 2010

(oops, I thought this went out earlier).

I wanted to let the zope-dev community know a bit about what Christian
Theune and I have been doing this week.  We have done a fair bit of
tidying for the ZTK projects on Launchpad:

- - Each ZTK package is now a separate Launchpad project, under the
  umbrella of the 'zopetoolkit' project group:

    https://launchpad.net/zopetoolkit/

  I did some minimal branding (the circle Z logo) across the ZTK
  projects;  Christian updated the metadata on them, including fixing
  up descriptinons and adding PyPI download links.

- - Each of those projects has bug tracking turned on.  You can drill
  down into any of them from the "umbrella" page and click the "Bugs"
  tab at the top.  You can also see an overview for the whole ZTK:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/zopetoolkit

- - I did a bit of "Augean stable shoveling" in the Zope3 tracker,
  moving bugs which were obviously tied to one of the ZTK projects
  into the appropriate project, and leaving behind a "wontfix" in
  the Zope3 project (since we're not making new Zope3 releases,
  we can't be fixing bugs there).  I left behind about 70 bugs which
  are tied up with packages whcih don't yet have a real home.

  At this point, there are significant sets of bugs to be tackled
  in many of the ZTK projects:  I'm hoping that having them grouped
  together that way will enable folks to focus on getting a number
  of bugs for a given project closed quickly, as in at a bug day.

- - Charlie Clarke put together a script which polls Launchpad for
  "languishing" bugs for a project.  I hacked on it a bit, allowing
  running the report against the 'zopetoolkit' project group, etc.:

    http://svn.zope.org/zope.bugchecker/trunk

  I am attaching a copy of the report for the ZTK projects.

- - I requested that the Launchpad folks set up mirrored imports of
  the SVN trunks for all the ZTK projects (some were already being
  imported, some aren't yet done).  Each project's branch can now be
  checked out using a nicely mnemonic bzr command, e.g.:

    $ bzr branch lp:zope.interface

  You can drill down to a project, and click the "Branches" tab to
  see any branches (most have only the one trunk branc).  You can also
  see an overview of all the ZTK branches:

    https://code.launchpad.net/zopetoolkit

  I am hopeful that having the code easily branchable with a DVCS will
  lower the barrier to contributing at something like a bug day, for
  instance.

Enjoy!

Tres.
- --