[Zope-dev] Launchpad gardening

Sidnei da Silva sidnei.da.silva at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 11:34:40 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Finally, I push my branch up to Launchpad::
>
>  $ bzr push lp:~tseaver/zope.interface/lp_12345

Once the branch is submitted to Launchpad, it is also possible to
create a Merge Proposal, which is a step up from a patch. Reviewers
can see a live diff on the Merge Proposal that gets updated every time
you do a new 'push'. Merge Proposals also have their own state.

There's a dashboard for keeping track of pending and approved Merge
Proposals, eg:

  https://launchpad.net/zopetoolkit/+activereviews

(the same exists for users: https://launchpad.net/~sidnei/+activereviews)

If you have bzrtools installed, you can use the 'bzr lp-submit'
command to create a Merge Proposal from the command line, IIRC.

It might seem like extra work at first, but once you get used to using
Merge Proposals to track work that's pending a merge it pays off very
quickly.

<snip>

> A branch made using 'bzr checkout' is "bound" to the SVN repository:
> commits are automatically pushed back to the master. When working in
> bzr, I really like the ability to "batch up" local commits, so I often
> create a local branch of the "bound" one, hack on it with multiple
> commits, and then push back to the "bound" branch.

That's how I work too, even with branches stored in bzr, by having a
'trunk' branch that is bound it saves you a few steps when merging
work back into the main tree. For people that prefer to be really
explicit, you can use 'bzr branch svn+ssh://...' instead of 'bzr
checkout' to create an unbound branch by default. You can also use
'bzr bind' and 'bzr unbind' to switch between bound and unbound.

-- Sidnei