[Zope-dev] "Comply with repository policy" ?

yuppie y.2010 at wcm-solutions.de
Wed Apr 21 07:46:30 EDT 2010

Hi!

Christian Theune wrote:
> On 04/09/2010 05:31 PM, yuppie wrote:
>> Tres Seaver wrote:

>>> The "All Rights Reserved" is a little senseless, since the following
>>> language turns around and says that the files are covered by the ZPL.
>>
>> I'm not opposed to removing that phrase. What I don't like is the fact
>> that it is removed randomly based on a bug in a script that is made for
>> a different purpose.
>
> Right. I'd consider that behaviour not a bug, but actually point out
> that all the examples in documentations that I have found considered the
> copyright to be stand-alone on a single line with the next line
> following to carry the "All rights reserved" remark. Although the tool
> screws up, the output of the tool really is intended to be reviewed by
> the person who does the checkin.

I doubt looking at "examples in documentations" was the best approach.
The tool modifies code, not documentation. Most headers in the Zope 2
world look different. They did have "All Rights Reserved." in the same
line and now they are without that remark.

>> I think a change like that should be based on an official policy change,
>> including new coding style guidelines:
>> http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/codingstyle/python-style.html#license-statement-module-docstring
>
> I'd move this off from the topic of the tool being broken: if either of
> you would like to follow up on removing the "all rights reserved" from
> the header, then please acknowledge that and I'll pick it up (probably
> that needs to go to the foundation?!? I bet some lawyer wanted that
> phrase to be in there originally and I guess we have to ask the ZF board
> whether that part of the policy can be changed.)

I don't think it is important if "All Rights Reserved." is part of the
header or not, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_rights_reserved

But I think it is important to have a policy how the headers should look
like. A policy accepted by everybody. Obviously the ZTK docs currently
don't fulfill that role.

It would reduce noise (pointless diffs) and make sure we don't waste
time with rivaling cleanups. Automated header updates would also be easier.

Cheers,

	Yuppie