[Zope-dev] locale data inside zope.i18n

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Thu Aug 5 12:47:43 EDT 2010

Hi.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.com> wrote:
>    The zope.i18n has some locale data inside "zope/i18n/locales/data".
> The global locale provider (zope.i18n.locales.locales) get data from
> this directory.
> What is the recommended approach to add a new locale XML file which is
> not available
> in CLDR: http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/browser/trunk/common/main/

I'm not aware of any way for doing this. You'd have to dive into the
details of the implementation and see if there's some plugin point you
could use.

> I think the data available inside zope.i18n is bit outdated compared
> to what is available
> in Unicode site: http://unicode.org/Public/cldr/1.8.1/
> How we are updating this database ?

We aren't updating that database. It's completely outdated and has
wrong information in many cases. I'd strongly recommend anyone for NOT
using it.

If you need ICU data in a Python project, I'd advise to use the much
more popular Babel package, that is actually continuously updated.

Hanno