[Zope-dev] zope.pagetemplate new install dependencies introduced since 3.5.0 and a modest proposal.

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Thu Aug 12 05:53:54 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Tim Hoffman <zutesmog at gmail.com> wrote:
> I will revisit chameleon. One thing I note that chameleon uses python as
> default expressions where as zope.pagetemplate (and all our
> code) uses tal expressions as default, and "python:" when we want python.
>  If that default behaviour can't easily be changed (I can't find anything in
> the docs on this) it would mean a lot of rework, in just 2 projects we have
> over 500 different .pt files  ( sure some global search and replaces will
> help, but still a lot of changes and testing.

Changing the default expression is easy. z3c.pt does exactly that to
keep compatibility with zope.tal.

> So at this point chameleon needs to be api/implementation compatible with
> zope.pagetemplates (metal included) or its a big job
> shifting.

It is 99% compatibile. The only real difference is, that it requires
all your templates to be valid XHTML. Otherwise almost all of
Zope2/Plone with all kinds of weird code works.

> Hey it was just a suggestion and if people think zope.pagetemplate is a bit
> of a dead end, then maybe I should invest the time
> on chameleon

I think zope.pagetemplate is a dead end for anyone not using one of
the large frameworks.

Hanno